Moments with Desiree: Mid-year check-in
If there isn’t a friend in your life to challenge your progress and/or stagnation then you should question what friendship means to you and redefine your allegiances. If there is no one to confront you on your fears, call you on your BS, and help you to align and center your life goals and desires, again, you should question what friendship means to you. I’ve learned a lot from Desiree in the 31 years I’ve known her. She continues to champion, cheer, support, and call me on my BS. I thought I’d be a little candid and respond to her mid-year check-in questions. After all, accountability is everything!
Moments with Des!
- What did you say you were going to accomplish at the beginning of the year?
- Weight loss ~ incomplete
- Finish Hip Hope(hop) Album ~ Complete
- What do you want to complete over the next 6 months?
- 15 lbs lighter
- Publish a book of poetry, quotes, and writings
- Build a full spoken word curriculum to launch in Fall of 2019
- What did you do that worked? Why did it work?
- Finished album. I sacrificed time, effort, money, and didn’t settle for anything less than excellence.
- What did you do that didn’t work? Why didn’t it work?
- Depended on the support of others. The support is always there. However, I didn’t provide a clear vision on the details of the type of support I needed, what I needed, why I needed it, and most importantly, I didn’t follow through on the ask.
- Where did you have the most impact?
- I believe my home. Taking less time on the job and spending more time with them has been incredible. In the past 9 months, we’ve had two planned family vacations. For me, that was huge and it resonates in my relationship with my wife and my daughter.
- What did you give up on too easily? What did you learn from that?
- Focusing on school. Quitters regress and don’t progress. I’m on the progression path. This last leg before the race is complete has been met with stagnation and thoughts of, “is it even worth it.”
- Have you been apologizing for taking up space? How? Why?
- Hmm, may have to sit on this one for a while.
- What steps do you need to take to have more joy in your life during the rest of the year?
- Be optimistic, think optimistic, live optimistically, and laugh a heckawholelot!
- What is one positive change you want to actualize with your work before January 2019?
- Center in on self-esteem/confidence and believe that I am a living possibility every day. Being a man of faith vs. living as a man of faith is a distinction I can no longer afford to separate. Knowing I am great, I am winning, I am blessed, I am strong, and that I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me. Actualizing that faith into tangible fruit through music, spoken word, and the arts is how I plan to attain this actualization.
Well, there’s my mid-year wrap up folks; I hope yours is going well. Thank you, Desiree, for always inspiring.
Desiree Adaway is the President and CEO of The Adaway Group. She conducts professional and personal development seminars throughout the United States. She’s also a business strategist assisting corporations with aligning their organizational goals. Information on how to contact The Adaway Group can be found here.