Kells the Artist is beyond Spoken Word. He’s a wordsmith and a Hip-Hop artist who is destined to make waves in Chicago. I first saw this young man at Dr. Finney’s church on the South Side of Chicago and learned then he’s a member of the group Team At Ease. Since then, he has remained a part of that spoken word group and has started his own team called EPIC. I sat down to chop it up with him about life and his upcoming project.
How long have you been writing?
- I’ve been writing since I was about 7. I started taking it seriously when I found out I was actually kinda good at putting sentences together.
What was it like growing up for you in Chicago?
- It was difficult at first because I grew up in the projects of the Southside.
- I spent a majority of my life as a follower. Doing what appeared to be cool. Chicago has a certain swag I felt I had to keep up with until I started thinking for myself.
Do you have a mentor? If so, who is it and why?
- Yes, I do have a mentor. My mentor is Jesus. I say Jesus, because he’s the perfect example of the person I intend to be like.
What does EPIC stand for and what are your goals for the organization?
- Epic stands for Effectively Producing Immaculate Creativity. My goal is to cause people to believe in their own dreams enough that they actually to accomplish them.
You have a CD coming out this April 13, what’s the title?
- It’s called CloudTalk.
What is the motivation for the CD and what can people expect?
- Today’s rap music is what motivated me to do it. I will not let real hip hop die, lol. People can expect a refreshing uplifting experience from start to finish, with motivating lyrics and great affirmations.
How do you stay motivated?
- I stay motivated by knowing that no matter what I can ALWAYS do better. I know where I came from and I’ll be damned if I go back!
What is something people have assumed about you that may be inaccurate?
- Two things: First, that I’m arrogant. I have a certain level of confidence that can be mistaken for arrogance. Secondly, that I’m not shy! Since I’m a performer nobody believes I can be shy, lol.
After this CD, what’s next for you?
- Book number two. I will finally sit down and finish working on my second book.
- Where can people find you in the social media world?
Join Kells The Artist Friday at 2239 South Michigan for his CD Release and Birthday Party at 7PM.